- TWENTIES PORTRAITS: Hundreds of portraits of women, featuring great flapper photo postcards, both black-and-white and tinted with color.
- TWENTIES SHOWGIRLS: Showgirls and other ladies of the stage from the era of the flapper. Some truly fabulous costumes featuring feathers and spangles and you never know what!
- CLASSICAL COSTUMES: Ladies in Greek and Roman style tunics, elegant and ethereal pictures.
- NAUGHTY IN 1902 (FRENCH RISQUE POSTCARDS): Yes, MORE risqué French postcards! These charming postcards of women in petticoats, corsets, stockings, flirtatious poses are so popular! These poses are flirty or mildly risque to our eyes but were considered quite scandalous in their time! (No nudity.)
- GYPSY LADIES & MIGNON: Nice collection of Mignon postcards and other ladies/girls in "gypsy," Spanish, Andalusian style costumes.
- CLOWNS COWGIRLS & "MILITARY" COSTUME: Women and couples in clown costumes, a few sassy cowgirls (& matador outfits!) plus fancy costumes in "military" style.
- PAIRS & GROUPS: Variety of antique photos, mostly of the "real photo" type, showing groups of society ladies, pioneer women & men posed in front of churches and home, some portraits of couples, and some fascinating photographs from the Woman Suffrage movement.
- BONUS category offering 98 vintage photos of MEN! Victorian & Edwardian gentlemen, workingmen, athletes, mountain men, even a Victorian strongman.
Victorian, Edwardian, and vintage images ready to print and share. Great for altered art, card making, scrapbooking, collage, decoupage, gift wrap and hang tags, labels, primitives, ornaments, jewelry, fabric arts, and endless other creative projects. The only limit is your imagination.
About These Images:
Most of the images in this collection are of a later vintage, the Twenties, age of the Flapper in her cloche hat. Women bobbed their hair and donned shorter skirts ~ and eventually voted, thanks to the suffragists! Make up became fashionable (if still not entirely respectable) for American women thanks in part to returning GIs' experiences with makeup-wearing Parisian "fancy women" during World War I!
While some of these photographs date from the Victorian era (roughly 1860-1901), others are more properly referred to as Edwardian. The Edwardian era describes the years from about 1901 to 1919. Edwardian styles were opulent, elegant, and refined. The camera and photography became more widely available, and ladies and children posed in their finery or against a charming background for portraits. Other photographers captured scenes of "real people" on the street, in front of their homes or schools, at historical events.
Also during this time postcards became very popular. These postal cards featured famous sights, holiday greetings, showgirls and other performers, posed scenes, and personal photos. Many early postcards originated in France, hence the name "French postcards." The term French postcard eventually became associated with slightly risqué images (most risqué postcards originated in Paris).
These images of antique and vintage ephemera offer a charming and fascinating glimpse into the past, revealing much about the era and its changing ideals ~ a great way to look at cultural history and fashion trends, or find artistic inspiration. It is a pleasure to make these images available in this collection.
Using These Images
DOWNLOAD: Images will be sent in a zipped file.
COPY & PASTE INTO YOUR IMAGE-EDITING SOFTWARE TO EDIT. Can be printed directly onto any paper, card stock, tissue, vellum, transparencies, stickers, labels, even fabric transfers to make quilt designs and embroidery patterns for personal use. Whatever will work in your printer!
ALL IMAGES ARE 300 DPI.
Images are JPG. All images are 1200 pixels on longest side. This will be approximately 4 inches when printed at 300 dpi, or twice that size at 150 dpi (can be resized before printing, down to very small). Samples may be smaller than actual images. Images are NOT watermarked.
Questions? See our FAQ page! If you still have questions, feel free to email us and we'll be glad to help.
PLEASE READ FULL LICENSE/TERMS before purchasing.
Dos and Don'ts
Copyright 2005, 2007, 2015, Lunagirl Images. All images are offered under license, and many of the individual images are copyrighted by us based on our creative alterations of the originals.
You may print unlimited copies of images or collage sheets for your own non-commercial personal or educational use, and alter them for your own non-commercial use as well. Please note that this permission is for you, the purchaser, only (images may not be forwarded to others).
You are welcome to sell your one-of-a-kind altered art and handmade items that incorporate these images (if your work is sold or displayed online or published in a magazine, blog, etc., include credit to Lunagirl.com).
Images may not be resold or redistributed, and there are limits on commercial use (see full license/terms for details).
Use in commercial graphic design, professional advertising or marketing, or media production, creation of design resources for sale, or sale of craft supplies, unaltered prints, or items in large numbers, requires permission and/or additional commercial use license.